The Polo Hotel is located in a quiet corner of the Parioli district, an area internationally known and appreciated.
The great architect Francesco Borromini, since his tragic farewell on August 3, 1667 - rests in eternal sleep in the family tomb of his master and distant relative in the maternal line Carlo Maderno, in the church of San Giovanni dei Fiorentini commissioned by Pope Leo the X of the Medici, along the Tiber river in front of St. Peter's Cathedral . Those who want to find it may turn to the left on the third pillar of the nave of the church, where you will find the epitaph: Franciscus Borromini Ticinensis Eques Christi ... Divinam Artis suæ Vim to Romam Magnificis Aedificiis exornandam Vertit ... in Peace Domains quiescit!
From there, mysteriously, he seems to be evoked to become also the guarantor of Polo Hotel, a modern and discreet place; and it seems he wants to take care of the hospitality given to each and every guest who enter the Hotel chosen for either a relaxing holiday, for artistic interest in the city of Rome, for work, to seek new energies or perhaps even in search of the proper origin.
Staying at the Polo Hotel becomes an opportunity to accept the invitation of the great architect Borromini himself - born on September 25, 1599 under the name of Francesco Castelli in Canton Ticino (Switzerland) - to admire and to be amazed by his works in the City of the Popes , The Eternal Villa, the Gateway to the New Jerusalem.
The detection of the architectural heritage of this great artist is evident, but his huge legacy may require a selection: the Hotel's reception, on request, provide you with a list and brief information about his numerous architectural works in Rome. Among these, it is worth to remember:
St. Ivo alla Sapienza - Chapel of the Annunciation, Filomarino Altar - Trinity Chapel in Saint Lucia in Selci - Palazzo of Propaganda Fide - Fountain of the Four Rivers - Oratory of S. Philip Blacks - Palazzo Barberini - Palazzo Pamphili - Villa Pamphili in San Pancrazio - Palazzo Spada - San Giovanni dei Fiorentini - the renovation of St. John Lateran - Saint Peter - San Carlino alle Quattro Fontane - St. Agnes in Agony – St. Anastasia - Chapel of the Annunciation of the Holy Apostles Church - Sant'Andrea delle Fratte - St. Augustine - St. Mary of Charity.
Many other cultural interests, nature trails and malls are easily accessible from the Polo Hotel, some of them are within a short walk or a quick trip by car, and among these are noteworthy:
- Villa Ada Savoia, named after the Royal House of Italy, with its flora, in particular, its pine trees, its lakes and its riding school;
- The Auditorium Parco della Musica designed by Renzo Piano;
- Il Bioparco, the Zoo of Rome;
- Villa Borghese and the Borghese Gallery, one of the most prestigious places in the world, with its history, its intrigues and the superb works of great masters, among them stands out the contemporary rival / friend of Borromini, Gianlorenzo Bernini, the latter artist "persuasive , solemn, exciting, the second one, Borromini , who was also the first assistant to Bernini at the Fabric of St. Peter and Architect of Wisdom, a constantly incorruptible promoter of strong emotions above all expectations ";
- The Catacombs of Priscilla, perhaps the site of the first baptism done by S. Peter, certainly a testament of the early years of Christianity in Rome.
The malls are numerous: we suggest to reach those placed in the City Centre too, including the Alberto Sordi Gallery. This gallery is a tribute to the great Roman actor, so beloved by the people that he almost overshadowed the memory of the column performed in honor of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius’ achievements, the square where Palazzo Chigi also faces, commissioned by Pope Alexander VII, and today the headquarter of the Italian Government.
We wish you a pleasant stay at Polo Hotel and enjoy the Eternal City!